Friday, January 11, 2019

Friday AM Economics

OMG!  Today was so much fun for me as a teacher.   Our managers, Eli, Ethan, Logan and Finian did an outstanding job at channeling Jamestown overseers.   I saw strikes,  indentures that ran away,(Richard)  etc.  You really should've had a feeling for what early life at Jamestown was like.  The idea of a reward that was seven years in the future wasn't enough incentive. 

Thus Jamestown learned - and other colonies as well.  Incentives needed to be offered immediately.  Frankly,  people learned that they were in shortage in the New World,  so they could demand private property rights more than people living in Europe, Africa or Asia could.

As you go through the following week - think about the role of incentives and private property in your own life.  What makes you respond or not respond?  What incentives would get a desired response?  

Your assignments are posted.   The debrief will be assessed and is due next Friday.   

I had psychic income today - but I don't think many of you realized the looks you were getting from people outside of class.  There were some priceless looks.  Luckily,  I had warned the office what we were doing.  Otherwise I think we would've had some "interventions."  

I invite you to look at the rest of the week's blog posts.  I've got some pictures and observations that might mean something to you.  



No comments:

Post a Comment