Thursday, January 10, 2019

Reflections After First Class - Thursday

Last semester,  I learned that the humor of my Thursday class is special.  I found that this semester - I will laugh a lot during our two hours.  ๐Ÿ˜† 

Thank you to my bosses of Ian, Isaac, Carlos and Brandon.  You did great work.   I saved a couple of the papers - I wonder if the Jamestown settlers sent such letters back to England?


It was a massive shift in thinking to give private property rights to all and pay everyone for their individual work.  In European, African, and Asian history - this had not really happened.   Jamestown's experience was picked up by other colonies and a big reason why our country jumped ahead of many in the world.  

Incentives - of course, profit ๐Ÿ’ฒ๐Ÿ’ต๐Ÿ’ฐcan motivate a lot of behavior.  But I have met business people that have complained that high school students don't perform to their expectations.  "I'm paying $9 an hour."  But,  I have asked "What do you offer in psychic income to incentivize your workers?"   

Money isn't the only incentive.  Work needs to be fun, fulfilling, rewarding.   For me,  days like this make work fun.  It keeps me motivated.  Don't get me wrong...I like my paycheck too.  But I stay in this job for the psychic income.  Often, that makes better workers.  

This coming week, think about the role of incentives in your life - both profit and psychic income.  Do they - or the lack of them - affect your economic choices?

I invite you to read the other readings from this week -  I have some more examples from Cuba.  

No comments:

Post a Comment